TDS or Tax Deduction at Source is a system in which a certain specified amount of tax is deducted at the time of some payments like commission, rent, salary, interest, etc. It is the responsibility of the Deductor (the person making the payment) to deduct the necessary amount of tax from such payments and hand over the balance amount to the Deductee (person entitled to the payment) within the stipulated date/time without fail. There are, generally, two methods of making the TDS payment: online and offline. Today, we will take you through a rough step-by-step guide as to how you can easily make a TDS deposit online without any hassle. However, before paying the amount online, make sure you have the following:
- Valid TAN & PAN.
- A stable internet connection.
- Access to Net Banking on your bank account.
- The necessary amount in your bank account.
Once you have all of these, you can proceed with the following steps to make TDS deposit online easily:
- Calculate the total amount of TDS for that particular month. Include the amount of interest too, if applicable.
- Visit NSDL’s website(“www.tin-nsdl.com”) and then visit ‘e-payment: pay taxes online’.
- Next, click on “CHALLAN NO./ITNS 281.”
- Fill out the form as per the challan details:
- Select whether your tax is applicable from Companies or Non-Companies.
- Enter the valid TAN and proper assessment year for which you are paying.
- Proper address of the taxpayer along with Pin code and ‘State’. You can also add your contact details and email id if you want to (not mandatory).
- Select the type of TDS payment- if it is TDS deducted by you or is it a regular TDS payment.
- Chose the ‘Nature’ and ‘Method’ of payment from the drop-down menu.
- Enter the captcha code carefully and then proceed.
- Click on ‘Submit’.
A confirmation page will open on the screen with all the details of the taxpayer. Once you submit the form, an online payment page will open on the screen. If there was an error while filling the form, you could edit it before proceeding.
Fill in the necessary login id and password for your net banking facility to make the required payment. In case you want to pay through debit/credit card, you can do so by filling up the card details along with your ATM or using OTP for the same.
Upon successful payment of the tax, a challan counterfoil will be generated that will have your CIN number, your payment details, and the bank’s name through which you have made your payment. This counterfoil is important proof of your payment. Save and print this counterfoil for further reference. After payment of TDS, it is necessary to file your TDS return.
Always make sure to recheck the filled in information before submitting the form and focus on rechecking the TAN as a false TAN can lead to risks of penalty up to Rs. 10,000. Upon following these steps, you will be able to successfully make TDS deposits online without having to visit the payment office for the same.
9,808 Total Views, 13 Views Today