Endoscopy is a medical procedure to diagnose, treat and cure diseases inside the digestive track and down to the pancreas and colon. An endoscope is inserted through the mouth or the anus depending on the type of endoscopy to be performed on the patient. Surgical endoscopy is also carried out at critical situations like in case of a wound treatment or a knee surgery, when an endoscope is inserted via a small cut made on the surface of the skin. Endoscopy is an evasive procedure and is quick to be carried out. It has been estimated that in the United States almost 10 million endoscopy is carried out each year.
Fun Facts about Endoscopy
- The first endoscope was designed in 1806.
- The main objective of an endoscopy is investigation, confirmation and treatment.
- Modern day endoscopy is extremely time efficient and used in complex surgeries.
- Capsule endoscopy was developed in the mid-1990s.
- Since 2001, more than 5 million capsule endoscope has been carried out in the US.
Types of Endoscope
An endoscopy products supplier supplies several types of endoscopes to the hospital and medical centers. Each endoscope is related to the types of endoscopy that are performed in several parts of the body. Depending on their variety, endoscopes may be flexible or stiff. Some advanced endoscopes can also be swallowed by the patient. Certain others use advanced camera and light technology for efficient diagnosis. Broadly we can classify endoscopes into four major types:
- Arthroscope – this is used to investigate a patient’s joints. A small incision is made and the instrumented is inserted into the body of the patient.
- Bronchoscope – this is used to look at a patient’s lungs, windpipe. Generally they are inserted through the mouth or the nose.
- Colonoscope – as the name suggests, this type of endoscope is used to inspect the large intestines and the colon. In this case the instrument is inserted through the anus.
- Cystoscope – inserted through the urethra, this is used to investigate diseases in the bladder.
Types of Endoscopy
Endoscopy as a treatment can be classified into various types depending on the parts of the human body. An endoscopy products dealer is responsible for delivering various types of endoscope and more relating to the below procedures:
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy – relating to the esophagus, stomach and the duodenum.
- Enteroscopy of the small intestines.
- Colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy relating to the large intestines / colon.
- Rectoscopy in the rectum.
- Anoscopy in the anus.
- Rhinoscopy in the nose.
- Bronchoscopy relating to the lower respiratory tracts.
- Otoscopy to the ear.
- Cystoscopy with ailments relating to the urinary tract.
- Hysteroscopy in the uterus.
- Falloposcopy in the fallopian tubes.
- Laparoscopy relating to the abdominal or pelvic cavity.
- Arthroscopy in the interior of joints.
- Thoracoscopy and Mediastinoscopy in the chest area.
Although endoscopy is a very harmless procedure, in rare cases many patients have experienced internal bleeding infections, injuries and scratches on the tissues. Many patients have severe reactions to sedatives and antibiotics administered during the process. Headaches, nausea and vomiting tendencies are also common.